Recognition for leadership and staff training
November 2, 2022
GFG Alliance Whyalla was one of eight local businesses to gain recognition at this year’s Whyalla Business and Tourism (WB&T) Awards night.
The GFG Alliance Whyalla steelworks and mining operations took out the Golden Orb Web Design and SRG Employer of the Year award at the WB&T Annual Business and Tourism Awards 2022.
This award is for those employers of trainees and apprentices that show a dedicated commitment to training. It recognises those employers that show leadership in sound organisational processes and provide valuable mentoring and development opportunities for their staff.
“We are proud of the fact that this award recognises us as a company that shows a dedicated commitment to training.”
Managing Director Liberty Primary Steel, Tony Swiericzuk was present to accept the award on behalf of the GFG Alliance Whyalla operations (Liberty Primary Steel and SIMEC Mining) in front of a sold-out crowd of 220 business people at the Palms Westland Hotel Motel on October 28.
Tony said he was pleased, honoured and humbled to accept the award as part of the Whyalla business community while he also congratulated all winners on the night.
“We are proud of the fact that this award recognises us as a company that shows a dedicated commitment to training,” Tony said.
“Our operations have continued to invest in the local community and this year we have re-invigorated our apprenticeship, graduate and vacation student programs.
“Apprenticeships have been offered in numerous disciplines, including mechanical fitter, fabricator, machinist and electrician with a program that incorporates both trade specific and personal development components to ensure we are developing and supporting our employees.
“Congratulations to all our staff for this success and thank you for all your hard work and effort to earn this well-deserved recognition for GFG Alliance Whyalla.”
It was the second annual awards night for Whyalla Business and Tourism that formed two years ago when the Whyalla Chamber of Commerce & Industry and the Whyalla Tourism Focus Group joined forces. Guest speaker on the night was the South Australian Deputy Premier, the Honourable Susan Close MP.
WB&T president Malcom McLeod congratulated GFG Alliance Whyalla for its efforts with apprentices and trainees. He also commended the company for nominating several apprentices and trainees for individual awards.
“GFG Alliance Whyalla ticked all the award boxes as it continues to invest in the local community with the effort it is putting into apprentices, training them and teaching a good working culture,” Malcolm said.
“Having GFG Alliance buy the steelworks has been a breath of fresh air with the number of apprentices it is now investing in which will benefit not only the business, the apprentices themselves but also the city of Whyalla.
“GFG Alliance Whyalla is creating tomorrow’s trades people who can live and work here in our city.”
Main picture: Award sponsors John Knowles (SRG) and Peter Klobucar (Golden Orb Web Design) with Liberty Primary Steel Managing Director Tony Swiericzuk. Picture: WB&T
WB&T 2022 Awards:
- The Signarama Contribution to Tourism: Cutty’s Boat Tours
- The QUBE Apprentice of the Year Award: Cooper Osborn (Mechanical Automotive Apprenticeship at McLeods Toyota Whyalla)
- The McMahons Trainee of the Year Award: Hannah Phyland (Cert III in Business Admin at Samaritan College)
- Magic FM Niven Boyd Memorial Retail Employee of the Year Award: Sharon Todd (Beyond The Hanger)
- Golden Orb Web Design and SRG Employer of the Year Award – GFG Alliance Whyalla
- Whyalla Business Icon Award: Network Video Whyalla
- Whyalla Individual Icon Award: Chris Birch (CBCH Crane Hire)
- BIS New Business of the Year: Beyond the Hanger (Sharon Todd)
- Golding Business of the Year Award: StaySafe Training
What is Whyalla Business and Tourism?
- Whyalla Business and Tourism advances business and industry in the Whyalla region through creative and innovative leadership, coordination and promotion of local business interests.
- Whyalla Business and Tourism exists to service the needs of the membership but also serves the City of Whyalla, the community and its future growth and development.
- It serves the city through active leadership, promoting and recognising local businesses, providing referrals to business assistance agencies, business networking and liaison contact and project partnering.